Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 2015 12:36:46 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Query about Virtualbox version.

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 14:50:14 +0100
Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 06:36:36PM +0800, muhammedzubair sharief
> wrote:

> > On Wed, 15/7/15, Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> >  Subject: Re: Query about Virtualbox version.
> >  To: "muhammedzubair sharief" <mzs_47@yahoo.co.in>
> >  Cc: vbox@FreeBSD.org
> >  Date: Wednesday, 15 July, 2015, 6:06 PM
> >
> >  On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at
> >  06:33:52PM +0800, muhammedzubair sharief wrote:
> >  >
> >  > Dear Maintainer,
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > I am using Virtualbox 4.3.28 on FreeBSD
> >  10.1, during recent pkg upgrade it showed version 4.3.30.
> >
> >  >
> >  > [..]
> >  > > pkg upgrade
> >  >
> >  Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
> >  >
> >  ??? virtualbox-ose-kmod: 4.3.28 -> 4.3.30
> >  > ??? virtualbox-ose: 4.3.28_1 ->
> >  4.3.30
> >  >
> >  > The
> >  process will require 14 KiB more space.
> >  >
> >  32 MiB to be downloaded.
> >  >
> >  > Proceed with this action? [y/N]:
> >  > [..]
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > However there was no
> >  stable release of 4.3.30. Is this version 5 which was
> >  recently released?
> >  >
> >  > Thanks for maintaining Virtualbox on
> >  FreeBSD!
> >

> >  https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_3
> >
> >  Quote:? "VirtualBox
> >  4.3.30 (released July 10th 2015)"
> >
> >  Regards,
> >
> >  Gary
> >

> > Thanks, the last time I checked(on 9th July) it was not there which
> > was during version 5 release,  I am afraid that moving to version
> > 5.0 might break the Virtualbox VM installations on 4.3.x. Will
> > version 5 replace 4.3.x or that be maintained separately?
>

> I can't speak for the FreeBSD VBox maintainers, but in general
> FreeBSD ports try to put major versions into a new port (e.g.
> emulators/virtualbox-ose5 or similar) so that people are not forced
> to upgrade and possibly break working configurations, and allow a
> transition period.
>
> I would expect that unless by some miracle the kernel module works
> for both VBox 4.3.x and 5.0.x, you may not be able to have both
> versions installed on the same system at the same time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gary

Forgive my lameness but for the VM itself should make no
difference, right? Except noticing possible improvements on
responsiveness, speed, etc... Well, maybe there could incompatibilities
if the VM has guestadditions 4.3.28/30 installed and is running on a
5.0 environment, although I believe this shouldn't happen.

Other than the above, the only thing that comes to mind is if the .vdi
disk layout has changed so much that would make HD images produced in
one version incompatible with the other. I hardly doubt that.

So, assuming VBox 5.0 is stable and bug-free, what would be the reason
to keep both 4.3.28/30 and 5.0 installed?

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."