Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 21:01:42 -0400
From:      Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
To:        Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How does FreeBSD make a difference in a government context ?

Sorry, I just got word from my boss that he INSISTED that I buy a
copy of Windows XP professional and use it on my home box instead
of FreeBSD. I'm still a little riled.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:16:29 +1000
Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.gov.au> wrote:

> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I am writing to ask your advice about demonstrating the value
> of FreeBSD servers (DDNS, DHCP, routers, Samba) in a 'public
> service'/'Government context'.

<joke>
Mr. Hopcroft, I hate to say it, but you're dealing with the
wilfully ignorant. No LART is potent enough to deal with such
people. In a similar situation, a close friend of mine told her
employers that if they dumped Linux for Win2K, she would quit and
burn the network docs on her way out.

They switched. She quit. The network docs made great kindling
when we had a barbecue to celebrate.

2 weeks later they called, begging her to come back and put
everything back the way it used to be. She told them to suffer
the consequences of their idiocy, and expressed a desire to
attend their funerals.

She's a hell of a woman -- I'll have to marry her someday.
</joke>

All I can suggest is that you drown them in favorable numbers.
Cost benefit analyses, Total Cost of Ownership, and above all
BENCHMARKS. Luser managers dealing with tech seem to treat
benchmarks like some kind of holy Revelation. Make sure the
benchmarks favor your position, of course. Drown them in
propaganda, bury them up to their necks in the shit.

Lacking that, you can always get somebody to infect the MS boxen
with the Nimda and Code Red virii. I hear there's also a Code
Blue virus going around. Tell the managers that the virus problem
will continue to get worse, rendering any MS box utterly
99.99999% useless.
******
Matthew Graybosch [matthew@starbreaker.net]
http://www.starbreaker.net :: where dreams and reality collide
"Screw Sartre. Hell isn't other people. Hell is debugging other
people's code."