Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:58:59 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and memetics

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 02:28:19PM -0700, David Schwartz wrote:
> 	Actually, in my experience, commercial developers won't go anywhere near
> the GPL, because it's way to restrictive. Even the BSD license is too
> restrictive. Commercial developers need to be able to cut and paste code at
> will, without having to put disclaimers and notices in their manuals. If you
> want commercial developers to contribute to your code significantly, it
> really has to be free and unrestricted.

What I meant was different. I was talking about those commercial developers
(like Corel) who decide to release their own original software with source
code. GPL would sound attractive precisely because it is so restrictive. As
in: "All right, we'll give you the source but you cannot use it to compete
with us." (I mean no implications about Corel's intentions specifically.)

Personally, I never even look at GPL source code. I feel safer that way.
Although it may be because I spent the first 29 years of my life in a Communist
country and see too many ideological parallels between that and GPL.

Adam