Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:41:46 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SuperProbe: KDENABIO failed

I'm installing FreeBSD 4.2 on a Toshiba 1555CDS, a laptop which has
given me a few problems but which has faithfully run FreeBSD 4.0, and
X11R6 (albeit, at a lower resolution than I'd like to see) for the
better part of a year, back and forth across the country, a few times
now.

I've gotten past the basic installation and am now working on X11R6
configuration. When I ran XF86Setup, I got the following error:

    XF86Setup: KDENABIO failed
    XF86Setup: Cannot open video

I did some irresponsible fiddling around, first; just to see if I could
hotwire it, I copied my old /etc/XF86Config into place from the
pre-upgrade backup, created the soft link /usr/X11R6/bin/X, and tried
'startx'. Same message (plus a bunch of others :-).

Then I tried more rigorous approaches to problem resolution; including

    # cd /dev
    # ./MAKEDEV all
    # reboot

... as well as examining the kernel configuration file, line by line,
and rebuilding it ... and also, using the command-line utility,
'xf86config', using values gleaned from old FreeBSD 4.0 notes, Toshiba
hardware manuals, and my old /etc/XF86Config. No success.

So I tried SuperProbe, and got the same !@#$ message:

    SuperProbe: KDENABIO failed
    SuperProbe: Cannot open video

... and I get the same message when I invoke 'SuperProbe' with the
'-verbose' option.

I already have my suspicions about the CDROM I bought at CompUSA; the
boot images didn't boot and I had to download the working images from
ftp.freebsd.org.

Does 'KDENABIO' imply that KDE-specific dependencies have been built
into X11R6?

-- richard

--
Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA