Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 09:59:53 -1000 (HST)
From:      "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stereo RealAudio for FreeBSD!

>I have been playing with the raencoder for Linux, and it works great
>on FreeBSD.  (Note that I had to brand the static ELF binary.)  Also,
>I have run some careful tests on ra quality, and maybe it is better
>than I could do with 128Kb/sec, but the CD quality sure sounds like
>FM quality to me...  (Strange hi-freq artifacts.)  However, it is
>cool to be able to compress alot of sound by a factor of approx
>(10-25):1, and it still sound tolerable.

OKay I forgot about branding....
Still cannot get either version of the encoder to work for me.
Realaudio folks seem to have forgotten to put LTA support into
the Elf version and the a.out version gives me:

% file ./raencoder
raencoder: Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (QMAGIC), stripped
% ./raencoder -l line -L -H 205.166.000.0 -P 7070 -W passwd -o test.ra
LINUX: 'ioctl' fd=4, typ=0x44d(M), num=0xff not implemented

raencoder: Error encountered: Cannot open audio device.

% uname -a
FreeBSD caliban 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #1: Fri Nov 22 19:51:52 HST 1996

Any thoughts?  I dont know my ioctls at all.

-David Langford
 langfod@dihelix.com