Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:02:42 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.ca>
To:        Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Troubles with network & buffers..  Any Ideas??

At 03:48 PM 3/27/00 -0500, Howard Leadmon wrote:

>  Thanks for the fast reply.. :)
>
> Needless to say the machine has been rebooted since the last time it
>died, but I'll try and keep an eye on it and next time it locks if I can
>get to the console I'll see if I can grab a snapshot at that time.  If a
>current running snapshot is of any use just let me know..

Perhaps just setup a cronjob...

vmstat -m >> /var/log/vm.out

But have a look at your busier times to see if the High Use is getting
dagerously close to the limit.  Do you have a lot of aliased IPs on this
box by any chance ?  As its an IRC server, its no doubt subject to various
attacks.  Check to see if there is any ICMP funny business being blasted at
you like a few million ICMP redirects.  ipfw and sysctl can be your friend
here.

	---Mike