Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 10:34:00 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hauppauge Bt878 Audio problems

Hi all,

Several of you have emailed recently about No Audio from the Tuner
on Bt878 Hauppauge cards (usually with the NICAM stereo chip)

Andrew Gordon has saved the day. He has used a ossilicope and
multi-meter to work out the hardware layout of the new Hauppauge boards.

It seems that the Tuner Audio no longer has a direct route to the Audio
Mux.
It only goes into the 34xx NICAM STEREO chip. From there it goes
into the Audio Mux.

So, we need to initialise the 34xx STEREO chip before we can
get any audio on Hauppauge BT878 cards.

Note: The external audio input should still work. Only Tuner Audio
is affected.

Note2: Old hauppauge cards has a direct link from the Tuner's mono
audio out to the Audio Mux and also a link from the Stereo Chip to
the Audio Mux.

Bye
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Group