Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:52:54 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, mwm@mired.org
Cc:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in, vcardona@home.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

At 06:10 AM 3/12/2001, anon@somewhere.net wrote:

>And if they do fold, so what?
>100 years ago the music industry did not exist.  There is no legal, moral,
>or economic mandate that it must still exist 100 years (or even 10 years)
>from now.  Industries come and go all the time.  They are born when a new
>need arises, and they die when that need fades away.

"The music industry" is a very broad term. It includes musicians, composers,
publishers, retailers, agents, lawyers, producers, engineers, equipment
manufacturers, etc., many of whom make very valuable contributions.
The way in which music is delivered may shift, but it's absurd to say that
the entire industry will (or should) just "fade away." As I've said several
times during this conversation, there have been changes in the technology,
but this is no reason to instigate a war between the many different interests
involved in delivering content. By preaching destruction, as you do in your
message, you're declaring war instead of brokering a new (and, hopefully,
better) peace.

--Brett Glass