Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:59:52 -0600
From:      George Ruch <george.ruch@3lefties.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Three questions...

lars <lars@gmx.at> wrote:

>George Ruch wrote:
>> Q1:  I have two drives, laid out as follows:
>> Drive 1
>> /ad0a      WinXP, NTFS, 16.06GB, primary
>> /ad0e     data, NTFS, 12.58GB, extended
>>
>> Drive 2
>> /ad1a     currently empty, 14.36GB, primary
>>           (installation target)
>> /ad1e     /ad0 backup, NTFS, 14.27GB, extended
>>
>> I'd like to use XP's NTLDR to manage the dual boot process.  I've seen
>> the following trick for Linux ( www.redhat.com/advice/tips/dualboot.html):
>>
>> - Boot into Linux, copy the first sector of the boot partition as follows:
>>     dd if=/dev/hdb of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
>> - Move bootsect.lnx to WinXP root (C:\), and add the following line to
>> boot.ini:
>>     C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"
>>
>> Does this approach work with FreeBSD?  Logic says it should, given the
>> similarities, but when has logic applied consistently to computers?
>
>I can't say anything about it, never done it, check google.

I'll do that, and I may try something a bit simpler in the
meantime.  See my reply to David Kelley.

>It's spartan and displays ???? for Windows but works without fault.
>Otherwise gag.sourceforge.net is very recommendable and looks better too.

Thanks.  I'll look into that.

>> Q3: Partitioning
>> [...]  All slices would be p/o ad1a, which has approx. 14,704MB free.
>>
>>     /        128M
>>     /usr    8192M
>>     /home    3312M
>>     /var    1024M
>>     /tmp    1024M
>>     swap    1024M  (4 x physical)
>That setup looks pretty alright imho.
>I'd go for this here instead:
>More for /usr,
>less for swap,
>that gives
>/	same
>/usr	same or more
>/home	same
>/var	same
>swap	RAM*2

In the meantime, I may strip the little machine (K6-3/400, 256MB
RAM, single 25 GB drive) and start with something a bit simpler
until I get more comfortable wit FreeBSD.  So, following your
model, expand /usr and /home proportionally and leave the rest as
is.