Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:00:15 +0000
From:      Bruce Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: weeding out c++ keywords from sys/sys

Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 14/02/2009 01:15 Andrew Reilly said the following:
>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 08:25:31PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>> Rationale:
>>> There are people who write FreeBSD drivers in C++,
>>
>> There are?  I can't find any in /usr/src/sys by any of the usual
>> suffixes.  Whatever would you want to do that for, anyway?  That
>> would bring a whole extra language runtime support library into the
>> kernel, and complicate the boot process with constructors and
>> what-not.
>>
>> Seems like a backwards step, to me.
>
> Bait not taken, sorry :-) [*]

Please don't listen to the nay-sayers, and keep up the good work:-

http://web.archive.org/web/20071222161357/http://netlab.ru.is/exception/LinuxCXX.shtml

The figures re exception handling quoted sound extremely promising.

Like any tool, C++ has its good sides and bad sides, and I suspect the
people who are nay-saying got burned by the non-mindful deployment of
this tool without sufficient support to "do it right", either from the
project they are working in, management (if applicable), or from the
tool chain.

There are worthwhile projects which use C++ in the kernel, and whose
progress has been impeded
by the very problem which you are now helping to fix:-
    http://read.cs.ucla.edu/click/

Nay-sayers: All I ask is that you don't complain when someone who knows
how to use the tool, and has the support, gets more working code written :^)

cheers
BMS