Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:35:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gpalmer@orion.webspan.net
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

Quoth Gary Palmer on Thu, 24 July:

: Stop cyberpromo, nancynet, iemmc, etc from sending out so many CFC's
: then. Then ISPs wont have to take action to defend their systems.

So far, the only *effective* defense I have seen proposed is killing
mail from well-specified originators.  I really don't object to the
MAIL FROM: filtering, as described on 'current' recently, but I do
question its effectiveness.  Improving the quality and general
availability of the originator filters would be a positive benefit.
But any originator filter than drops even one non-spam mail message
is *broken*.  Email is *important*.  (That's *why* spam is so evil.)

(Aside: When you set reply-to you might like to adjust the addressing of the
former venue to a BCC so that respondents don't naturally respond to
both lists.)