Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2006 07:52:55 -0800
From:      "Steve Brown" <freebsd-questions@stellablue.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   devfs creates unwanted devices in jail after ruleset applied

I am running a DNS server in a jail and have setup a devfs mount in the
jail to have null and random devices.

The setup works fine, but once I log out then log back in the pty and
tty devices of my login get created in the jail. Which, of course, I
don't want to happen. To clarify, I'm not talking about "logging into
the jail", this occurs when logging on to the system. The jail is
stripped down, not anywhere close to a virtual server.

I do the following to create the jail'd devfs at startup:

     mount_devfs devfs JAILDIR/dev

     devfs -m JAILDER/dev rule -s 35 add hide
     devfs -m JAILDIR/dev rule -s 35 add path null unhide
     devfs -m JAILDIR/dev rule -s 35 add path random unhide

     devfs -m JAILDIR/dev rule -s 35 applyset

This works great - I get a dev directory setup with just null and
random. But the second anyone logs into the system, whammo all the
sudden pty and tty devices appear inside the jail's /dev directory.

If anyone would care to unclueless me I would appreciate it.

Steve