Date:      Sat, 03 May 2003 23:16:08 +1000
From:      Duraid Madina <duraid@octopus.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Floppy Support

Peter Schultz wrote:
 > Is floppy support a bad crutch for FreeBSD?

Yes, it is. Given that CDRs are generally cheaper than floppy disks, and
that CDR drives are cheaper than some floppy disk drives, there's really
no point to using floppies. As early as 1997, Intel declared their
intention to deprecate the floppy, and they've basically done it (anyone
bought a laptop lately?).

Anyone who wants to use floppies to install/repair FreeBSD will probably
be more than happy to use 4.8, or 5.0. Indeed, the only machine I have
with a floppy disk drive (a Compaq deskpro XE 560) can't even boot
FreeBSD 4.x, let alone 5.x (due to a broken BIOS).

On the other hand, I am unable to easily install FreeBSD on my modern (6
month old) run-of-the-mill PC, because support for my hard drive
controller was only checked in a couple of days ago, but thanks to
floppy-related brokenness, I haven't been able to download a snapshot
ISO image.

Can anyone give a *good* reason why floppies should still be supported
from this point onwards? Why should we make using a recent version of
FreeBSD convenient for someone with a machine so old that it can't boot
from CDROM (if memory serves, it was in 1995 that this feature became
widespread) or with some other aversion to CDROM hardware, while making
it more difficult for someone with recent hardware? This does appear to
be what FreeBSD is doing. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

	Puzzled,

	Duraid