Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:40:49 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@encontacto.net>
To:        Yarema <yds@CoolRat.org>
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>, courier-users@lists.sourceforge.net, ports@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Re: [courier-users] Re: Compiling courier-imap

<unsolicitedComment>
Yarema,

I would like to add that both mail/courier-37.0 and 37.2 versions
have worked perfectly right out of the box and have converted an
installation that could have been measured in hours or days into a
task that is measured in minutes, even on a first time install as
mine was.  I installed with ldap authdaemon and was sending
and receiving mail in minutes using only ldap.  My first time to
not be tied to unix password for email.

I still have a lot to learn about courier and its multitude of
features but I am learning on a running system.  The, for me is
a big improvement over "learning to run a system."

Thank you very much for this the first usable port of this complete and
integrated mail system that Sam has developed leveraging his knowledge,
extraordinary programing skills and common sense.

ed
</unsolicitedComment>

Quoting Yarema <yds@CoolRat.org>:

> Listen, I'm gonna take my courier port and pare it down to work the same
> way with standalone courier-imap.  I'm getting no response from Neil
> Blakey-Milner <nbm@FreeBSD.org>, courier-imap port's current maintainer.
> I'm pretty sure it'll work for you.  Perhaps in return you could do some
> 'lobbying' on ports@FreeBSD.org to either get my changes committed or let
> me take over as maintainer.
>
> --
> Yarema
>
> --On Friday, January 25, 2002 19:12:04 +0300 Odhiambo Washington
> <wash@wananchi.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello List,
> >
> > Please excuse my stupid question. It's only that the answer is hidden
> > somewhere.
> > I run FreeBSD 4.x-STABLE on a couple machines here and I'd like to
> > switch from uw-imap to courier. The port in FreeBSD did not seem to
> > do what I wanted because I needed to incorporate ldapauth. Now I
> > decided to compile from 1st principles by downloading the 1.3.12
> > tarball, extracting and doing what the small script below would:
> >
> ># !/bin/sh
> > PREFIX=/usr/local
> > CONFIGURE=./configure
> >
> > $CONFIGURE --with-authldap
> > --with-authldaprc=${PREFIX}/etc/courier-imap/authldaprc \
> > --without-authshadow \
> >                 --without-authcram \
> >                 --with-authmysql --with-authpam \
> >                 --sysconfdir=${PREFIX}/etc/courier-imap \
> >                 --with-userdb=${PREFIX}/etc/userdb \
> >                 --datadir=${PREFIX}/share/courier-imap \
> >                 --libexecdir=${PREFIX}/libexec/courier-imap \
> >                 --enable-workarounds-for-imap-client-bugs \
> >                 --disable-root-check --with-piddir=/var/run \
> >

> > The compile happens successfully but I don't get to see authldaprc. I hope
> > that someone has done the same cleanly on FreeBSD and may be able to help
> > me, even with other configure ARGS that I may have missed. I'm probably
> > missing on a few things.

---