Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:11:07 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?mr=20fred?= <frebhed@yahoo.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel optimized for Athlon XP 1800+

 --- Jan Stary <stare@ns.arachne.cz> wrote: > Hi there,

> I installed FreeBSD 5.0 a few days ago and I love it. This is what I
> wanted to turn my linux box into for a long time!
>
> Anyway; it's an Athlon CPU, and when compiling my custom kernel, I
> couldn't find any option more specific then CPU_I686 (also said
> ATHLON_SSE_HACK). I only want to make sure that it really gets optimized
> for my Athlon (so far, all ports compile with -mcpu=pentiumpro).
>
> Is it so that for FreeBSD5.0 there is just a 'class' of I686 CPUs
> (without differentiating more) or is there some other option I missed?
>
> btw, what is fb50's analogy of what linux names /proc/cpuinfo ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Jan

I have the same cpu and I have only recently switched to FreeBSD (been
enlightened).
I am on constant lookout for optimisation tweaks!
Asside from disabling debugging and other unneeded options I havent found
anything that relates to AthlonXP specific options with the kernel (except for
the MAKEOPTIONS (?) flag)... I dont think the SSE_HACK option needs to be
enabled if you see SSE in the start of dmseg... but, checkout the compiler
options and edit /etc/make.conf accordingly (man make.conf). I cannot remember
whether the MAKEOPTIONS in the kernel config override or compliment those in
/etc/make.conf... I just put my options in the /etc/make.conf :) It kind of
pays to know what youre doing when adding more options though... strange things
can happen :) I think its pretty safe to add -msse -mmmx -mcpu=athlon-xp to the
CFLAGS option though (I think -march=whatever gets added from that other CPU
option) :) I dont have access to my FreeBSD box right now... I would suggest
getting a benchmark from the ports tree as well (something which I havent
gotten around to yet).
BTW I think there is a performance mailing list now (?) maybe give that a go...

cheers
Fred

=====
worry is a missuse of imagination