Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2011 19:18:07 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS and large directories - caveat report

On 21 July 2011 18:38, Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com> wrote:

> The general usage on this server is fine, but the periodic (daily) scripts take almost a day to complete and the server is slow as hell while the daily scripts are running.

Yes, this is how my problem was first diagnosed.

> So, yes, i can confirm that running 'find' on a ZFS FS with a lot of files is very, very slow (and looks like it isn't related to how the files are distributed on the FS).

Only it's not just "find" - it's any directory operations - including
file creation and removal. I cannot say that is not related to how
files are distributed on the file system, except the unusually long
operations on the parent of the shard directories in my case.