Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 1997 02:12:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      gjp@erols.net (Gary Palmer)
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X Conferencing: was [hackers:] Architectural advice needed

In article <13445.881641544@time.cdrom.com>,
	jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
> Actually, the whole system of network chat rooms, shared whiteboards,
> video conferencing, etc, is already well available using the MBONE
> tools, now if only most of us could get *on* the MBONE anymore. :(
> CRL, the ISP for Walnut Creek CDROM (and hence me), doesn't pass MBONE
> traffic anymore and this situation is mirrored for many other folks I
> know of.

I have MBone to my desk at work, and we send it to our dialups too,
but the lossage makes it next to useless :-( We have multiple
peers at MAE-East (I believe), but most of the traffic still seems
to need to go through the west coast somewhere, and a lot of backbones
are having cross-country congestion right now, which makes MBone
next to worthless as there is enough packet loss to render even plain
audio streams uninteligible.

Gary