Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:17:11 +0300
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Michael Mannsberger <mannsber@starmedia.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, Glenn Chisholm <glenn@ircache.net>
Subject:   Re:(3) hey

Alright, here are my questions. I have collected more than one email
here.
1st of I all it is hard to tell my customers that they are not able to
connect to that site because this is not a legal host name. Since all
other ISPs are fine with it. I did not understand why other Unix OSes
like
Solaris or OSF1 support it. I also believe that there could be a more
meaningful
error message else than the one I got "Unknown server error".

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> [redirected to -questions; please don't cross-post!]
>
> > ping  www.atayatirim.com.tr works under Sun but not in FreeBSD - why?
> > FreeBSD doesn't like "_" in a URL!!!!!!!!
>
> This has nothing to do with FreeBSD, this has to do with `_' being
> an invalid character and BIND8 now refusing to honor it vs just silently
> not complaining like before.  This is also well-documented in the RFCs
> and in the BIND documentation.  Paul Vixie sent out warnings many months
> in advance before putting this into BIND8.
>
> There's also no need to post your message in both ASCII and HTML
> formats; that's just a waste of bandwidth.
>
> - Jordan

I believe that BIND is the nameserver right? Well I think it cant be
the problem when my name servers are using FreeBSD operating system and
my Solaris box is instructed to use them for domain name lookups, why do
Solaris work then if this is a problem with name server?

Glenn Chisholm wrote:
> > Well, I am the person who has this problem.
> > The RFCs does not explicitly say that we should not use underscore
> > character
> > as far as I understood. But it suggests which characters we should use.
> >
> RFC 952
>
>    1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
>    to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
>    sign (-), and period (.).  Note that periods are only allowed when
>    they serve to delimit components of "domain style names".
>
> RFC 1101
>
>    The current syntax for network names, as defined by [RFC 952] is an
>    alphanumeric string of up to 24 characters, which begins with an
>    alpha, and may include "." and "-" except as first and last
>    characters.  This is the format which was also used for host names
>    before the DNS.  Upward compatibility with existing names might be a
>    goal of any new scheme.
>
> The above two documents limit the characters that may be used a a _ is not
> one of them. FreeBSD behaves correctly in this manner.
>
> RFC 1033 is only a informational RFC and should not be treated as a
> standard.
>
> glenn

If FreeBSD is so strict about domain names? what about this one? it has
59
characters only between www and co.uk

turkey:/usr/local/users/staff/yurtesen>ping
www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrn
drobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk
PING
www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk
(194.4
2.244.17): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 194.42.244.17: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=290.601 ms
64 bytes from 194.42.244.17: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=311.852 ms
--- www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk
ping st
atistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 290.601/301.226/311.852/10.625 ms
turkey:/usr/local/users/staff/yurtesen>nslookup
www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerych
wyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk
Server:  finland.ispro.net.tr
Address:  195.174.18.1