Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2017 07:34:41 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   synth install ... builds but does not always install named packages

I am building up a system (FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE amd64) using synth, but even when the packages build and appear in /var/synth/live_packages/All , some of the packages don't install.

When I type "which gnumeric", "which bison", "which abiword", I just get a blank, and the executable files don't appear in /usr/local/bin .

This happened with math/gnumeric, editors/abiword-docs, among others.

I subsequently installed those packages by typing "synth install math/gnumeric" and "synth install editors/abiword-docs", but how do I find all the others that built and are listed in /var/synth/live_packages/All but did not install?

I see

"ls -l /var/synth/live_packages/All" has 657 lines, while

"pkg info -a" produces 544 lines.

I piped to "more", then hit G to go to the end, then Ctrl-G, which showed the number of lines.

This may not tell the whole story, but makes me believe there is a disparity, and ask how to find and install those packages that built but didn't install.

Has anybody else been stung by this bug?

Tom