Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 02:13:19 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk copying

Thus spake Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>:
> > Are the disks the same size/geometry?  If so:
> >
> > dd if=/dev/olddisk of=/dev/newdisk bs=32k
>
> Can "dd" also be used to copy to/fro my RAID disks (40G), to a single 40G
> disk? The latter is of a different brand, but has the same size. In other
> words: how identical does the geometry need to be?
>
> If I can use dd here, I think I will use dd to create a "core" system; and
> then use additional dumps to backup individual slices.

If the drives have the same geometry as far as the BIOS is
concerned, you should be okay.  Basically, the partition table you
copy has to be valid for the target drive.  But it's much more
reliable to just use dump/restore.  If you want to have a spare
`live filesystem', just restore the backup to the new disk.