Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:54:54 -0600
From:      Lars Fredriksen <lars@odin-corporation.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Paul.Mackerras@cs.anu.edu.au
Subject:   pppd in current

Hi,
    3/22/98 version 1.8 of lcp.c changed the async map for the receiving
side from defaulting to 0 to all Fs.
This seems to cause problems with a few ppp servers as far as I can
tell. The symptom is that one get
connected ok, but no packets seems to flow. If you turn on debugging for
the ppp driver you will find the
following message:

ppp0: missing UI (0x3), got 0x21

You will also notice that nestat -i is reporting input errors on the ppp
interface.

The question I have is this:

    1) Is this a bug ?
        I believe starting pppd with the -asyncmap 0x0 option will work
around the problem.

    2) If the correct value is 0xffffffff, what is needed to be able to
talk to the remote, besides setting the async map to 0? Is there some
option negotiation that pppd should be doing with the remote that
remedies this?

Lars