Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:47:30 -0400
From:      Alan Gerber <agerber@ncsu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel modules & the 5.2.1-p9 to 5.3b7 migration?

I recently decided to update my 5.2.1-p9 system to the latest beta to
check out the improvements in ACPI code on my Dell Latitude D600
laptop.  So I updated sources and went through the usual
[build|install][world|kernel] procedure as described in the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

I decided to go with the GENERIC kernel and rebuild it later with my
specific options - everything built successfully and it looked like
everything was going great, although I did note that I was updating much
more in the mergemaster step than I was originally expecting.  But I
muddled through it and it finally came time to reboot into beta-7.

When I did reboot, I got a pretty big surprise - it appears that the
kernel can't find any of its modules.  In the "Bootstrap Loader" portion
of the startup sequence (I *think* it is boot2 - just before you get the
beastie screen asking you if you want to start with ACPI disabled,
verbose mode, safe mode, etc), it appears to load the snd_emu10k1.ko and
sound.ko modules.  I'd expect this since my system is equipped with that
style sound card.

However, just after the beastie screen goes away to allow the boot to
continue, I get the message "ACPI autoload failed - no such file or
directory" as the first line of text, before any of the other
kernel-outputted text.  A couple of other interesting messages follow.
One tells me that kldload can't load star_saver, reporting a "No such
file or directory" error.  I also get a message saying that /dev/mixer
doesn't exist (and indeed it doesn't -- nor is there any sign of a sound
device in the dmesg output).

When I execute kldstat, I get the entries I would expect back - kernel,
snd_emu10k1.ko, sound.ko, and est.ko (of the enhanced speedstep driver
fame - I was running it on 5.2.1).  If I try to manually load a module,
such as the star_saver (this is the only thing I've done since loading
acpi.ko isn't a good idea), it works.

I've run through /usr/src/UPDATING a couple of times, and there's no
mention of this kind of problem as far as I can tell.  I did apply the
libmap.conf changes for those libraries with changed version numbers,
but I don't think that has anything to do with this problem, since I
haven't removed any libraries yet.

For the record, my uname -a output is as follows:

FreeBSD localhost 5.3-BETA7 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7 #0: Thu Oct  7 08:36:24
EDT 2004    unlateral@localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I've tried adding module_path in /boot/loader.conf to
/boot/kernel/modules, but that didn't seem to change anything, so I
pulled it out of my loader.conf file.

I'm not sure why this problem is happening, but I'd appreciate some help
in getting it solved.  If you need information other than what I've
provided here, please let me know and I'll see what I can do about
getting it to you.

--
Alan Gerber