Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2018 18:34:02 +0100
From:      Matt Smith <matt.xtaz@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dovecot error on boot up

On Apr 11 16:59, Carmel NY wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:22:02 +0100, Matt Smith stated:
>
>>On Apr 11 15:38, User Hasse wrote:
>>>Hello
>>>After latest update/upgrade I get this for me strange error on the
>>>boot up screen :
>>>
>>>dovecot error:t_readlink(var/run/dovecot//dovecot.conf) failed: readlink()
>>>failed: No such file or directory Then : Starting dovecot
>>>
>>>Dovecot seems to work as usual and I can't find anything in any logfiles.
>>>
>>>Googled it, and found this :
>>>https://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg73108.html
>>>
>>>Anybody else experienced this ? Or know how to fix ?
>>>
>>>Best Regards
>>>Geir Svalland
>>
>>Nobody ever reads /usr/ports/UPDATING do they? :)
>>
>>Though I did exactly this and started from a completely fresh configuration
>>and I saw the error you've mentioned too. But I only saw it the very first
>>time I started dovecot. It has never been seen on the second restart or since.
>>
>>20180401:
>>  AFFECTS: users of mail/dovecot and mail/dovecot-pigeonhole
>>  AUTHOR: adamw@FreeBSD.org
>>
>>  Dovecot has been upgraded to 2.3.1, and pigeonhole to 0.5.1. Most
>>  existing dovecot installations MUST be modified for 2.3, but for
>>  most users the modifications are simple.
>>
>>  Modify your Dovecot conf.d/ files before spinning up 2.3.1. The
>>  upgrading instructions are detailed here:
>>
>>        https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.3
>
>I have read it and made all of the changes before I started Dovecot the first
>time. The only only happens if I reboot the system, not if I shutdown and then
>restart Dovecot.
>
>I see nothing in the "updating" file that would account for this.

Yes, you're right, sorry. I assumed this wasn't a general issue as I
only saw it on the first startup, and have never seen it since. It looks
like this may come from the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dovecot rc script. It
looks like that does some kind of check that /var/run/dovecot exists and
is populated. And it takes it from running dovecot -a and awking out
base_dir etc.

This is probably going wrong somewhere for the new version of Dovecot.
May need to discuss it with the maintainer and/or raise a PR for it.

--
Matt