Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 15:39:33 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>, Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.com>
Subject:   Re: Any reason not to remove /usr/obj/* ?

On Sun, Aug 24, 1997 at 08:42:04PM -0700, Studded wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 1997 18:58:06 -0700 (PDT), Doug White wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Stan Brown wrote:
>>
>>> 	I'm geetting a ltlle tight on disk space, and I noticed a directory
>>> 	called /usr/obj go by while making my backup.
>>>
>>> 	Other than the posibilty of not having enough room left to do a make
>>> 	world, is there any reason not to remove the contents of this
>>> 	directory?
>>
>> If you're not doing any 'make world's, then /usr/obj is destroyable.
>
> 	Yanno.. this is one of those things I've never been clear on.  Can
> you explain to a non-programmer the function of /usr/obj,

It's used to keep the object build by 'make world' or any of a number
of other makes ('make all', for example.

> and why one would want to keep it if one *were* planning to make the
> world again?

It's not much use if you plan to do a 'make world', since 'make world'
first goes and selectively removes all the directories it wants in
/usr/obj, and then recreates them.

> I've seen "rm -r /usr/obj/*" as a solution to so many make world problems,
> that on those few occasions when I do make the world, I routinely delete
> everything in /usr/obj because I can't afford for the system to harf in
> the middle of the build (I'm 600 miles away).  What would keeping /usr/obj
> around do for me, how can I be "safe" if I do keep it around, and what
> should be the deciding factor(s)?  I checked the upgrade tutorial, and
> didn't find anything about /usr/obj.

I think that's reasonable.  I have a recollection in the back of my
mind that other makes also use /usr/obj, and some of them don't know
how to make the directories if they're not there, but 'make world' has
no problem with it, and the makes in the Ports Collection don't use
it.

Greg