Date:      Sun, 1 Jan 2017 10:36:36 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        Matthew Macy <mmacy@nextbsd.org>, "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>, Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Subject:   Re: End of year Xorg status rant

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 02:11:36 -0600
Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 03:41:46PM -0800, Matthew Macy wrote:
> > There are people contributing patches that sit idly in Bugzilla
> > indefinitely.
>
> [I'm not addressing Matthew directly here; he already knows most of this]
>
> And this is the key point: we need more committers.
>
> If the folks in this thread (and the similar one about numerical
> computation) saying "someone should do something!" worked towards being
> committers, we would all be better off.
>
> And, no, I don't believe that process is easy.
>
> But what people don't appreciate is that the large number of moving parts
> in the Ports Collection (times 7? architectures, times 4^W3 release branches)
> creates something intricate.  There's a learning curve to being able to
> commit something that doesn't break anything else; the curve gets steeper
> the closer you get to the center of the infrastructure.

This is irrelevant to this post, but it's an error everyone
seems to make and I find it quite annoying.

A steep learning curve means that one learns quickly.  A flat
learning curve means that one needs longer to learn something.

Using "steep learning curve" is exactly the opposite of what one
is trying to state - that it takes greater effort and more time
to understand something.

Just picture the curve in your head.  X is time and Y is amount
learned.  Obviously, a steep curve means that more is learned in
a shorter time.

I suppose that this incorrect usage comes from people imagining
that the curve represents a hill, so steep must be harder.  Wrong.

My rant for 2017.

--
Gary Jennejohn