Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:30:23 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0 does not work on HP DL180, irq 10 storm

On Friday 11 April 2008 01:35:15 pm Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> A customer is trying to get a brand new HP DL 180 to work with FreeBSD. We
> tried 7.0-RELEASE-amd64 and the March 7-STABLE-amd64 snapshot, none of them
> works.
>
> I don't have the entire picture, since I haven't tried installing myself,
> the machine is 700 km away, but it is an experienced sysadmin doing the
> installation. After install, which seemingly works, although the console is
> complaining about IRQ 10 problems (can't say exactly what it complains
> about), reboot to the fresh install does not work, the machine apparently
> scrolls away a great number of complaints about IRQ 10.
>
> He tried turning off USB, serial and other stuff in BIOS, but it didn't
> help.
>
> He tried Red Hat, and it works perfectly, so my guess is there is something
> with a FreeBSD driver, dunno for sure which one.
>
> sorry I can't be more specific. Has anyone else succeeded in installing
> FreeBSD 7.0 on HP DL180? (that is 180, not 380, which I know works fine).
>
> Thanks for any input.

I had a bizarre IRQ storm on IRQ 10 for a DL 180 (or 185?) recently that I
didn't fully figure out.  The box had two bge(4) interfaces and if I manually
disabled the driver for either one (didn't matter which one) the IRQ storm
went away.  I haven't been able to chase it down further, but it doesn't act
like a normal IRQ storm (the storm should have "stayed" with a given device).

--
John Baldwin