Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:51:53 +0800 (GMT+0800)
From:      Gavin Chan Lim <gavin@linux1.dlsu.edu.ph>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS Setup

I'm having some trouble setting up NFS in FreeBSD 2.1.

Let's say my server's name is "promig1", and my client is named "promig2"

Here's what promig1's exports file looks like:
/usr		-alldirs	humprey
/migrate			humprey

and here's promig2's fstab file:
/dev/wd0s1b			none		swap	sw 0 0
/dev/wd0a			/		ufs	rw 1 1
proc				/proc		procfs	rw 0 0
promig1:/usr			/usr2		nfs	rw 0 0
promig1:/migrate		/migrate        nfs     rw 0 0

I hope you can take the time to answer the following questions:
1. Is there any proper booting sequence for the clients and the server
   when using NFS?  My client seems to hang almost every time I boot up.

2. Promig1's /migrate directory contains subdirectories, how come these
   subdirectories can also be seen at promig2 even though I did not
   specify the -alldirs option?  And if I do so, /migrate doesn't even
   mount!  (WEIRD...?!?)

3. How should I manage access permissions of the involved directories in
   the server and the client?  Should they have identical access permissions?

4. I have the same users on both computers, but they have different uid's
   and gid's.  How do I manage this?  Do I need to use NIS/yp?

5. I'm quite confused about the -maproot option.  If I include this
   option, the directory doesn't evven mount.  For example, Does
   "-maproot=ernie:staff" mean that if the client's root accesses NFS files,
   he'll have "ernie" as a user ID, and "staff" as gid?  What about
   non-root users?

6. I only have read-only access to the NFS files in my client.  How do I
   change this to read-write?  I thought the default was already read-write.
   "-rw" doesn't seem to work.

BTW, I've already read the man pages for "exports", "fstab", and "mount."

Thanks!