Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 03:43:37 -0800
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>
Cc:        Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Friedrich Locke <friedrich.locke@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: high performance server design approach

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com> wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2012, at 11:03, Friedrich Locke <friedrich.locke@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Mark,
> >
> > when i say high performance, i am looking something at least as fast as
> the fastest performing http server on the market for a given set of
> requests on the same pool of static files.
> >
> > I am aware og ngnix, but i have to write my own http server. Using
> someone else solution is not an option.
>
> Ok, fair enough. It's a shame you're not in a position to use proven high
> performance technology to minimise
> your time-to-market, but I'll assume you've got a good reason to re-invent
> the wheel.
>
> I think for design questions like that, freebsd-questions@ is not the
> ideal list, but I suggest
> either freebsd-hackers@ or freebsd-net@ or a more general purpose
> networking list.
>
> Try
> http://www.slideshare.net/joshzhu/tips-on-high-performance-server-programmingtoo.
>
> - Mark

If there is NO any absolute requirement to write a new http server  in a
clean room approach ,
any existing related software with suitable license may be utilized to
generate a new fork and
make necessary additions with possible translation to another programming
language .

For example ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nginx
( BSD licensed )

is forked by

http://www.zhuzhaoyuan.com/

as

http://tengine.taobao.org/

.

To find other suitable licensed http servers , the following page may be
useful :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_server_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_lightweight_web_servers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_HTTP_server
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Web_server_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_web_server_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Web_server_management_software

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permissive_free_software_licence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_licences
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_and_open-source_software_licenses

Please do NOT take the following sentences against your personality ,
they are only to remind you about problems :

If you are not able to fork an existing http server software in your
programming language ( the programming language you want to use ) and
modify it with respect to your special needs , then it is very likely that
you will not be able to write an equivalent software .

If you attempt  to create such a software , with the above condition , at
the end  ,
your gain will be amount of knowledge you gained , amount of time and
resources ( money , time , etc. ) you lost .

If you will use a different programming language and you do not know the
programming languages used by suitable licensed http server software , then
study development history of such http server software and get information
about its difficulty , problems , cost , human effort requirements , etc. ,
.
This will supply to you a clear road map for you development .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk