Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:24:38 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        "Teesdale, Andy" <aateesdale@post.gjmelec.org.za>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help Please

On Fri, 03 Mar 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, Teesdale, Andy wrote:
> >I have been introduced to Linux but I am not to sure if this is the way to
> >go.  I came across  an article in Computing SA on FreeBSD and this caught
> >my attention.  I have tried to download the software using MS Internet
> >Explorer but get an error message when trying to connect to the ftp site.
> >I asked a college to try using Netscape and he could connect but was
> >confused when he saw the list of downloads.
> >
> >I have tried to contact the Hostmaster in South Africa but the mesage was
> >returned by the server.

Hello Andy.

First off, if you're going after FreeBSD for game play, then forget it.
Stick to Linux. That was just to save you a lot of time, effort and
grief.

If you have other reasons, then the place to start is by going to the
FreeBSD website and doing a little reading before trying to install
anything. These two links should get you off to a good start:

http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html

I myself did not know a thing about Linux or *nix os's when I started a
few months ago, but between the documention and all the wonderful
people on this mailing list there is very little that I have not been
able to achieve.

Welcome to FreeBSD, and good luck!

--
Walter Brameld

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.