Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:59:30 -0500
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@freebsd.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LOR (swap_pager.c , uma_core.c)

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 05:30:30PM +0100, Andy Hilker wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > one of my servers with SMP crashs every few minutes oder a few hours
> > under heavy load (e.g. /usr/ports/math/mprime, mprime -t )
> > With SMP disabled, server runs very stable.
> >
> > kernel: lock order reversal
> > kernel: 1st 0xc2113c60 vm object (vm object) @ /usr/src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c:1323
> > kernel: 2nd 0xc076ef40 swap_pager swhash (swap_pager swhash) @ /usr/src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c:1838
> > kernel: 3rd 0xc1037b58 vm object (vm object) @ /usr/src/sys/vm/uma_core.c:881
> > kernel: Stack backtrace:
>
> This is a known false positive, reported at least once a day.  Remove
> WITNESS_DDB from your kernel, or at least remove DDB_UNATTENDED so
> your system won't reboot when these harmless WITNESS warnings show up.

Here's all of the sysctls you should know about:

debug.trace_on_panic
debug.debugger_on_panic
kern.sync_on_panic
machdep.ddb_on_nmi
debug.witness_watch
debug.witness_ddb
debug.witness_trace
debug.witness_skipspin

If you want to change debug.witness_skipspin, though, that has to be set as
a tunable in /boot/loader.conf instead of /etc/sysctl.conf.

If you're actually running into real crashes, there's a possibility that
this might help:
	http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/turnstile.patch

  <> green@FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \