Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:46:36 -0700
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P5A broken by ACPI black-list

Kevin Oberman wrote:

>>Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:27:03 -0700
>>From: Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
>>Try the attached patch.  If it works, please submit your system info
>>including dmesg and acpidump -t as a PR (i386/???) and I'll commit it.
>

> It worked perfectly. I'll add it to the PR in a few minutes.
>
> If you are doing this, will you add quirks for the other ACPI modules?
> I know I've seen reports that various of them are not working on some
> BIOS or another and putting in the quirks (even if there are no current
> references to most of them in the acpi_quirks file) will make it easier
> for people to make appropriate customizations of their kernels.

Not to begin with.  It's likely many modules will never need to be
disabled by default or can't be disabled without breaking the rest of
ACPI (i.e., the EC) so I'll deal with those as they come up.  So it
doesn't make sense to define an automatic mapping between quirks and the
debug.acpi.disabled tunable.

Also, I intend for the quirks system to work around bogus behavior also
and want to save bits for that vs. just making it an outright blacklist.

--
Nate