Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:39:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gregoire Welraeds <greg@perceval.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel pseudo-device log

Hello again,

My System information:
FreeBSD *****.perceval.net 4.1.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE #3: Thu Feb
15 16:14:02 CET 2001 me@*****.perceval.be:/usr/src/sys/compile/CONFIG
i386

While playing around with the configuration of my kernel, i found
something strange. I'm using "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey, third
edition (FreeBSD Version 3), which help me to understand some obscure
option. In the pseudo-devices section, I red the following:

pseudo-device log
log is used for logging of kernel error messages. Mandatory.

But this pseudo device is not listed nor in the GENERIC neither in the
LINT file (/usr/src/sys/i386/conf). This looked strange to me because if
it is mandatory, it should be at least listed in the LINT configuration
file.

So I thougth:
1. This field was mandatory in FreeBSD 3.0
2. my system is a 4.1.1
possible conclusion: this is not an option anymore, the code related to
this option have been added to the kernel for FreeBSD 4.

BUT

I've looked in both LINT and GENERIC kernel configuration file for a
FreeBSD 3.2 and I saw that this option was missing in thos file too.

So,

Is there something missing in the config files ?
Is there an error in the book ?
something else ?
Do I have to include it in my kernel configuration file for a FreeBSD
4.1.1 ?
and last but not least:
What can occured in a system if the option is missing ?

Thank for help.

Gregoire Welraeds
Perceval Development team
Perceval Technologies sa/nv Tel: +32-2-6409194 Rue Tenbosch, 9 Fax:
+32-2-6403154 B-1000 Brussels general information:  info@perceval.net
BELGIUM technical information: helpdesk@perceval.net URL:
http://www.perceval.be/