Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:28:03 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for suggestions: multiple users on the same desktop

--On November 30, 2007 4:31:15 AM -0500 "Aryeh M. Friedman"
<aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have several "sub" accounts (for specialized purposes not really a
> part of an other account) which I do my work basically I have:
>
> aryeh -- my personal account
> web -- maintain my web site
> dev -- development/testing of software
> dep -- seperation of development and production code
>
> I almost always login into aryeh (xfce via xdm).   Both web and dev
> require the use of variuous X applications but I don't want to logout
> and login back in and/or have to invoke the app from the cmd line
> (i.e. xhost +; setenv DISPLAY :0; app cmd line)... I am looking for a
> way to make it so I can launch apps from a desktop panel and/or icon
> on the desktop and make it ask what user to run it under (or somehow
> or another make it aware that not everything is to be ruin as
> "aryeh")... ideas?

Make the commandline for executing the app (in the properties of the icon)
"su - web /usr/local/bin/app"?  I would think, when you launch it, you'd
be prompted for the password and then the app would run.  At least I've
used that technique with sudo to run gui apps as root.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/