Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:25:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dave@pila.top.pl (DaveForest)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question

DaveForest wrote,
> Is it possible to run Mail server in LAN network on computer with 60MB disk and with 4MB of ram? I would also like to know, what kind of shareware I would have to install.

It is possible, but that is _not_ a lot of disk space. You could do a
minimal version of FreeBSD, but you'd already have very little space
left. You'd probably want to add a POP and possibly an IMAP server if
people will be pulling mail off to PCs. You'll have little space for
storing user mail or swap (if you got hit with a 43 MB file like my
mail server did the other day, you'd have problems ;).

That is also the bare minimum amount of RAM. To be honest, I think
it'd be cheaper to upgrade or use another machine rather than put all
of the time and effort needed into getting things to work under those
constraints. BTW, the machine _is_ a 386 or better, right?

And I thought my PentiumPro with 24 MB RAM and a 1 GB disk was a
minimal mailserver...

> Please give me an answer on qj@box43.gnet.pl

You should put this in your 'Reply-To' if you want mail to go there.