Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:19:52 +0200
From:      "SUPPORT" <support@bluetooth-shop.sk>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Nwe kernel and dmesg question

Hello everybody,

I'm sorry for the long mail, but I really need your help. Please read it
before removing :-)

I just have my new kernel (where I disabled almost SCSI devices) but during
start-up there are errors as follows:

config> di pcic0
No such device: pcic0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di bt0
No such device: bt0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di aic0
No such device: aic0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di aha0
No such device: aha0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di adv0
No such device: adv0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> en ed0
No such device: ed0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> po ed0 0x280
No such device: ed0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> ir ed0 10
No such device: ed0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> iom ed0 0xd8000
No such device: ed0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> f ed0 0
No such device: ed0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.

What are these devices ? Why they are there, when I rem all lines concerning
about them in my kernel config file ?

Also, my machine has Matrox Millenium card. I tried tu set it up into VESA
mode and use 132x43 cols/lns, but the last message before showing login
screen is: "vidcontrol: cannot set video mode. Operation not supported by
device". Matrox was found:

VESA: v2.0, 2048k memory, flags:0x1, mode table:0xc030a302 (1000022)
VESA: Matrox Graphics Inc.
[skipped]
pci0: <Matrox MGA Millennium 2064W graphics accelerator> at 11.0 irq 11

but sc0 still goes into VGA mode:

vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>

How to make it to go into VESA mode ? How to make kernel to use Matrox
Millenium driver ?

The last question is about CD-ROM. Ata is working properly:

atapci0: <Generic PCI ATA controller> port
0x2000-0x200f,0-0x3,0-0x7,0-0x3,0-0x7 irq 15 at device 20.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
[skipped]
acd0: CDROM <SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C> at ata0-master PIO4

CD-ROM is found, but I still can not use it (mount does not work, writing:
READ_TOC command timeout - resetting
resetting devices ... done
read data overrun 12/0

I encountered this problem during installation, too. I was not able to
install FreeBSD from the CD the install boot from, so I installed it from
MSDOS partition (I mounted temporarily. I have only one SCSI HDD and ATA
CD-ROM in my machine.

Why I can not use my CDROM :-( ?

Please help, if you can :-)

Peter Rosa