Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 2006 09:01:04 -0800
From:      Bruce MacDonald <brumac@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to find out my systems DDR RAM speed?

BIOS screens and RAM chips are tough to see from a distance :)

The program memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ shows the information you
seek.  Unfortunately, as far as I know, it must be run from a boot disk,
though since it is open source, it perhaps could be modified to run under
FreeBSD.

Also, I may be wrong about this, but I think that if your current system
requires slower DDR333 RAM, then putting in DDR400 may cause problems.
OTOH, if it can handle faster DDR400, then it could also use DDR333, but ru=
more slowly.  Also, I really dislike mixing RAM types on a single board, bu=
people tell me that on modern mobos, that is not such a big deal as it once
was.

Regards,
--Vorpal