Date:      Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:09:32 -0800
From:      Ron <lists@rzweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql 5.0 on FreeBSD 5.3

> No, you can just compile it yourself using ports (although the ports
> collection also doesn't support 5.3 any longer, most things will still
> work).  Using packages with pkg_add -r is an *alternative* to
> compiling yourself using the ports system, and there's no point in
> updating your ports collection if you're not going to use it.

Is there a way to update to 5.4 that doesn't involve reinstalling?  Everything I can find about it makes it seem like a very complex process.  If someone can point me to some step-by-step docs, I would appreciate it.

(Yes, I have looked all over the freebsd site, and I don't see anything that is plain and simple instructions).

Thanks, Ron