Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:08:00 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Harti Brandt <harti@freebsd.org>, Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>, Sergey Matveychuk <sem@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bsnmpd & 64bits counters problem

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 19:27:49 Andrew Thompson wrote:

> > interface. SM>> High speed means that the baudrate in the interface MIB
> > (the one in the SM>> kernel) must be larger than 20Mbaud.
> > SM>
> > SM>Well, these is lagg interfaces:
> > SM>lagg0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
> > 9000 SM>
> > options=19b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4> SM>
> >      ether 00:30:48:67:d4:68
> > SM>        media: Ethernet autoselect
> > SM>        status: active
> > SM>        laggproto lacp
> > SM>        laggport: em2 flags=1c<ACTIVE,COLLECTING,DISTRIBUTING>
> > SM>        laggport: em0 flags=1c<ACTIVE,COLLECTING,DISTRIBUTING>
> > SM>
> > SM>There is no baudrate on them. But they are really high-speed however.
> >
> > All interfaces have a baudrate. Its in net/if.h ifi_baudrate. We had the
> > problem in the past with other interface types. 'virtual' interfaces must
> > take care to somehow propagate the rate of the underlying physical
> > interfaces up to the virtual one.
>
> This patch should fix it for the lacp case. What is the correct value to
> use for a collection of interfaces with possibly different speeds?
> highest/lowest?

If aggregation is used you should add the individual speeds (as this is the
highest rate at which the interface counter could be increased).  If it's in
failover you should propagate the speed of the active interface.  When in
doubt, always report the highest value - at least for the purpose discussed
here.