Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 23:10:49 -1000 (HST)
From:      Guest <guest@pegasus.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound still broken..

} > Any chance of giving the sound drivers interrupt priority over SCSI, etc.?
} >
} > That would fix a number of problems.
}
} It doesn't work that way.  FreeBSD is volunteers, not a paid
} organization.  Anyone works on whatever floats their boat, at their own
} priority.  If they do a good job and observe the style and coding rules,
} and don't break things, their code stands a good chance of getting
} committed.  There isn't anybody standing over you, whipping the lash and
} setting priorities.
}

Yikes!  I didn't say development priority.

Interrupt priority.

Sound is the only real-time i/o we have, but it's given a lower
priority than many other drivers.  This contributes to some of
it's problems.

Given enough other i/o activity sound i/o can become starved
for data.  If it were given higher interrupt priority this wouldn't
happen.

-