Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2006 21:18:23 -0300 (ADT)
From:      User Freebsd <freebsd@hub.org>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stand up and be counted - BSDStats Project

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Boris Samorodov wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>

> On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:30:08 -0300 (ADT) you wrote:
>
>> Okay, there has been alot of discussion on this in the other thread,
>> some of it tangent'd to the original, so, I'm starting off a new
>> thread as a sort of summary ...
>
> Great idea, but should be introduced with care...
>
>> I've been doing some thinking on it this afternoon, and think I've
>> figured out about the simpliest way of doing it ... it still doesn't
>> deal with "fakers" and such, but, IMHO, I don't think that that is a
>> *huge* problem that needs to be addressed ... some might do it for a
>> lark, but, overall, it just sounds like something that is "more worth
>> then its worth", so over time, it should eventually balance out ...
>
> ...taking into consideration *why* do we want to do the stats. *If*
> we plan (and this is one of the goals of the project) to have those
> stats as a serious argument for a Big Business then we *must* prove
> that those numbers are not faked. Or even more strict: that those
> numbers can't (or even very, no VERY hard to) be faked.
>
> It's useless (as a serious argument) if it can be faked: imagine that
> a virus (warm or else) is written to fake it.

Personally, I do not believe that there is any *safe* way of protecting
against this happening ... short of having a userid/passwd schema and
forcing ppl to actually register ... of course, then less ppl would
participate, since it would then be too much work ...

The thing is to do as much as we possible can to 'tighten it down' without
making it difficult to use ... over time, if something gets added to the
OS that helps improve this, we can extend teh script to check for and use
such features ...

----