Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:46:12 -0400
From:      Michael Morin <uzimonkey@gmail.com>
To:        ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
Cc:        freebsd-ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to match words that rhyme?

Redd Vinylene wrote:
> Hello hello!
>
> How do I match words that rhyme, like end rhymes, last syllable
> rhymes, double rhymes, beginning rhymes and first syllable rhymes?
>
> Like rhymer.com. I'm looking to improve my freestyle skills :)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmqXKbxDoJ0
>
> Much obliged, and thanks!

English is extremely inconsistent.  Good doesn't rhyme with food which
doesn't rhyme with flood.  You're going to need something that describes
the phonetics of each word, like an open dictionary.  With that, you
should be able to identify which words rhyme.

Rhyme is a subjective term as well.  Some words "rhyme" even though they
don't meet any formal definition of "rhyme," they just sound right
together.  But this is a lesser concern.

--
Michael Morin
Guide to Ruby