Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:22:30 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't get stateful ipfw working...

Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net> types:
> On 22-10-2001 21:43 (-0400), David Hill wrote:

Arrgh. The digester ate David's address. Rogier, if you still have it,
could you forward it to him?

> > Hello -
> > Implementing the following ipfw ruleset allows nothing to work.
> > The nat'd machines can't access the gateway, nor the internet
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> > $fwcmd add 500 check-state
> > $fwcmd add 510 deny tcp from any to any in established
> > $fwcmd add 520 allow tcp from any to any keep-state setup
>
> I don't know for sure, but maybe the stateful rule includes the setup
> option and refuses anything but setup packets. Try removing that since
> it's quite useless here anyway.

His rules look almost exactly like what the man page suggests for
dealing with flood attacks. There are two difference:

1) Rule 510 only denies incoming fake packets. Probably immaterial.

2) Rule 520 uses "keep-state setup" instead of "setup
keep-state". Since keep-state takes an optional method, that may be
confusing the parser, and hence the rule actually implemented. I'd try
swapping that.

	<mike

Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.