Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:10:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@freebsdsystems.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Tim Radigan <rad2921@cup.edu>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 4.0 from 3.1

Hi Sheldon,
I did that. Read /usr/src/UPDATING, did the instructions. When one of the
systems came back up, it took a day or so to get constant messages "bad block
#yada yada. I see bad144 is gone.

To make a long story short, I had to reinstall everything from scratch. Thank
G-d my main server is still 3.4-stable. I am not saying UPDATING is not
correct. I am saying, something did not go right on both boxes.

lnb

On 05-Apr-00 Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 09:52:08 -0400, "Tim Radigan" wrote:
>
>> I'm new to this mailing list and kind of new to FreeBSD.  I am
>> attempting to upgrade my version (3.1) to 4.0.  I used the cvsupit.tgz
>> package found on FreeBSD.org.  Everything finally updated but now I'm
>> not sure what to do.  I've read the FAQ and printed out the 14 pages
>> on the make world command.  I was just wondering if anyone can point
>> me in the right direction as to what I should do next.
>
> Okay, so you've grabbed the RELENG_4 sources?  Then your next task is to
> print out /usr/src/UPDATING.  You should be fine from there.
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

Lanny Baron,
Master FreeBSD Administrator
Date: 07-Apr-00
Time: 04:10:36

All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
		-- E. Rutherford