Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 22:50:27 -0800
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
To:        Gary Rafe <grafe@lab12.ie.pitt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba Satellite 2595XDVD

On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 09:47:42PM -0500, Gary Rafe wrote:
> I tried the OSS driver on my 4030CDT (3.3-R/PAO3) recently.
>
> My first attempt had pcic0 on irq 11,
> so the OSS driver failed as you described.
>
> After moving pcic0 to irq 10, recompiling a kernel & rebooting,
> the OSS driver appeared to install OK.
> cat /dev/sndstat reported the driver,
> mixer(1) reported a bunch of settings,
> and output from xcdplayer found its way to the speakers,
> which was a good thing.
>
> Data through /dev/audio0 & /dev/dsp0, however,
> were far from perfect !
> That, and the apparent size of the OSS module (as reported by kldstat)
> persuaded me to wait until something shows up in pcm for 3.x.

Gary,
  Thanks!  Reading this gave a clue I had missed, turns out the
USB devices on the Satellite 2595 I have were what was causing the
conflict.  Went through several kernel compiles disabling various
things before OSS suddenly took off.  Several more establishing it
was the USB only.  Wierd.

Gotta agree with you, though, about waiting for native support.
It still makes no sense to me that OSS requires a separate
interrupt.  Gaaaahhh.  I wish laptop (and Toshiba in particular!)
manufacturers would make their machines at least a *little* more
configurable.,,,

   Thanks again.
--
Dann Lunsford       The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
dann@greycat.com    is that men of good will do nothing.  --  Cicero