Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:53:25 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VT320 terminal connection problems

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 06:08:11PM -0400, Matthew Hunt wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 01:45:53PM -0700, GReg Sutter wrote:
>
> > The FreeBSD box is using a standard termcap and gettytab.  It's got a
> > modem at cuaa0 (which is why I've mainly been trying ttyd1).  Running
> > FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE.

The modem is now on cuaa1 (result of testing :)

> Is sio1 correctly detected at boot?  (If you have a 16550A, then
> a boot message claiming a 16450 is a non-detection, sigh.)  Sort
> of equivalently, does a mouse or external modem work on that port?

Both sio0 and sio1 are detected as 16550A's at boot-time.  As for an
external modem or mouse, I don't know.  I'd have to (gasp) turn it off
to change the 25-pin serial with the 9-pin serial to test a mouse.

> If they're talking correctly, you should be able to run
> "cu -s 9600 -l /dev/cuaa1" (without getty running on the line)
> and type to the terminal, and vice-versa.

I can run that, and it accepts input (when a getty isn't running) but
nothing displays on the terminal.

> You might also fire up "systat -v" and see if any interrupts
> come across sio1 when you type on the terminal.

Nothin.  You think I have a bad cable or something like that?

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                 Bureaucrats cut red tape -- lengthwise.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com