Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:08:45 -0800
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rudy (bulk)" <crapsh@monkeybrains.net>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lazy bhyve doesn't boot until I conenct to console

Hi Rudy,

> I'm seeing something odd...  I am running this command:
>
>   bhyve -c 4 -m 2048M -H -P -A -s 0:0,hostbridge -s 1:0,lpc -s
> 2,virtio-net,tap1 -s 3,virtio-blk,/dev/zvol/data/vm1 -l com1,/dev/nmdm1A
> vm1
> but I the VM is being lazy...

  A number of people have reported this, and looking at it, I think it's
a bug in bhyve.

  nmdm attempts to simulate modem control (not quite correctly - run
back-back cu's to see some of the behaviour), but also bhyve doesn't
open the device non-blocking. This results in the open() syscall waiting
for simulated carrier-detect to arrive, which doesn't happen until the
other end of the nmdm is opened.

  A fix should be showing up shortly.

later,

Peter.