Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:48:28 -0700
From:      "Chris H." <chris#@1command.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clarification before buying a internet static IP address

Quoting vuthecuong <cuongvt@fpt.vn>:

> Tnx for quick response. I would like to confirm as below:
> You said that:
>
> "You don't want to buy a domain (or at least not in the first place).
> The thing you need is a static IP address, first, and that's not being
> 'sold' by a domain reseller / registrar."
>
> If I don't buy a domain being 'sold' by a domain reseller, so how can I
> obtain a static IP address?
> Looking foward to hear from you.
The best solution to accomplish your goal will be to acquire a static
IP from your
ISP (that place that let's you connect to the internet). Be warned;
accomplishing
your ultimate goal is not as simple as getting a so-called static IP.
Technically
speaking you are going to get more than 1 (one) IP address in the process
(NETWORK and BRODCAST - possibly GATEWAY; though that /can/ be your
assigned IP). Knowing how to manage all this is a _must_.

Hope this helps, and best wishes.