Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:37:15 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, d@delphij.net
Cc:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE: WARNING ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff8004667e

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 02:12 pm, Xin LI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2010/06/22 19:58, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I am getting more than 4 thousand of the following messages a
> > day:
> >
> > WARNING pid 24509 (python2.6): ioctl sign-extension ioctl
> > ffffffff8004667e
>
> [...]
>
> I think we may need to check the code and patch it.  Basically this
> means that python (or some .so modules) passed an int or unsigned
> int as parameter 'cmd', we need to change it  to unsigned long.
>
> The warning itself should be harmless to my best of knowledge, one
> can probably remove the printf in kernel source code as a
> workaround.
>
> By the way it seems to be a POSIX violation and we didn't seem to
> really use so wide cmd, but I have not yet verified everything
> myself.

Long time ago, I had a similar problem with termios TIOCGWINSZ and we
patched the port like this:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/python/files/Attic/patch-Modules%3A%3Afcntlmodule.c?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

I believe it was upstream patched at the time but I won't be surprised
if something similar was reintroduced.  It happens when a Python
internal integer type is converted to a native unsigned long.

FYI...

Jung-uk Kim