Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:43:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        James Igoe <raine_31@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing from CD-ROM (was Re: your mail)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, James Igoe wrote:

> I am unable to install freebsd with the ISOs that were provided on the
> freebsd ftp site. I have burned them onto a cd and I have attempted to boot
> from them. However, I have found that they will not boot. I am working on a
> i386 architecture, using both a p3 450mhz, 384MB RAM, ameritech bios box and
> a celeron 1ghz 384MB RAM with a dell bios laptop. I have checked the boot
> sequences and have corrected them so thatg they boot fromt he cd rom.

Most likely you just copied the .iso files to the CD-ROM, instead of
burning them as an image.  You can verify this by checking the contents
of the CDs; if there's only one large file, that's the problem.

How to restore a .iso file to a CD is dependent on your CD-recording
software; for example, with Roxio software on Windows, you should be
able to right-click on the .iso file and choose Record to CD.