Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:32:03 -0800
From:      Jason Dictos <jason.dictos@yosemitetech.com>
To:        'Erik Trulsson' <ertr1013@student.uu.se>, Jason Dictos <jason.dictos@yosemitetech.com>
Cc:        "''freebsd-questions@freebsd.org' '" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Using int 13 while BSD is running

Point well taken.

-Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Trulsson [mailto:ertr1013@student.uu.se]
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 9:24 AM
To: Jason Dictos
Cc: 'Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko'; Dan Nelson;
''freebsd-questions@freebsd.org' '

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:49:17AM -0800, Jason Dictos wrote:

> > To Jason: take care not to *write* anything to the disk via int 13h.
> > I still don't think I understand why you are using FreeBSD for this
> specific purpose. Why if you just >spend time escaping from the OS?
>
> We actually _like_ protected mode, it allows us to be more flexible
> and our code doesn't have to be bastardized with 16 dos compilers ;).
> However in dos we have garanteed hard drive support via int13 (Well
> almost garanteed, but if an os can boot of the computer, we can access
> the disk), and I'm looking for the same sorta garantee in BSD. People
> will be using this with raid controllers, scsi hard disks, and ide
> drives (Server recovery), so there will be many times when the
> hardware running the hd requires specific support, which BSD may or
> may not have, point is we dont' want to manage that.
>
> Make sense?

Just because you can boot from the disk does not mean that the BIOS can read
the whole disk.

As an example I have an old computer running FreeBSD with a 1GB disk.
The BIOS in this computer cannot handle disks larger than 512MB (which was a
quite common limitation in older BIOSs).  I can however boot from this disk
since all the files needed for booting reside below the 512MB mark.  Once I
have booted FreeBSD I can access the whole disk precisely because FreeBSD
does *not* use the BIOS, but use its own routines.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson